Welcome to the website for the Measure MB Citizens' Oversight Committee. This committee was established on August 15, 2018 by the Manhattan Beach Unified School District's Board of Trustees by adoption of Resolution No. 2018-27, which includes the committee's bylaws.
COMMITTEE'S MISSION: The mission of the Measure MB Citizens' Oversight Committee is to independently review and inform the public and Board concerning the expenditure of parcel tax revenues and to ensure that such revenues are expended in accordance with the intention of the voters.
On June 5, 2018, by passing Measure MB, Manhattan Beach voters authorized the Manhattan Beach Unified School District (District) to impose a special tax in the amount of $225 per parcel for six years annually. Measure MB levies an annual $225 parcel tax (for six years) to a provide this stable, reliable revenue for our schools to:
- Attract and retain high-quality teachers and maintain manageable class sizes.
- Protect quality math, science, reading, language, social studies, art and music programs.
- Preserve advanced programs in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
- Continue to prepare students for top colleges and careers.
- Provide adequate instructional materials and classroom supplies.
Financial Accountability Protections are Mandatory
- By law, no Measure MB funds can be taken away by the state.
- Every dollar stays in Manhattan Beach to be used to support our local schools.
- Independent oversight and audits to ensure funds are spent as promised.
- No funds can be used for administrator salaries.
Under Resolution No. 2018-8 the District is obligated to establish a Citizens' Oversight Committee in order to satisfy the accountability requirements of Measure MB. Resolution No. 2018-27, adopted by the Board of Trustees on August 15, 2018, established the Bylaws for the Measure MB Citizens' Oversight Committee. Resolution No. 2018-27 includes the criteria used to select the applicants to be appointed to serve on this committee. Please note that employees, officials, vendors, contractors, or consultants of the District are not eligible for voting or active membership on the Committee.